Winter temperatures can make your house frigid and uncomfortable. To fight against this, you need a fully functioning furnace. Make sure your unit is ready for winter by scheduling routine maintenance and tune-up services. Call Elite Comfort Systems for appointments in Brentwood, CA. A family-owned and operated company, we provide upfront pricing!
Are you tired of making frequent repairs on your aging furnace? Contact us to learn about our furnace installation services.
How To Keep Your Furnace Maintained
To ensure your furnace works properly in the winter months, it’s important to keep it maintained all year. Some tips to follow include:
- Schedule a yearly inspection with a professional in the late spring or early autumn.
- Replace filters regularly, ideally every three months. This can prevent dust, pet dander, and other particles from building up in the unit.
- Install a carbon monoxide monitor to protect you and your family from a potential leak.
- Check the ducts to ensure they are properly sealed.
- Examine the blower to make sure there are no obstructions and to determine if it needs lubricant applied.
- Inspect the inside of the system for defects, rust, holes, or separated seams.
- Clean the burners with fresh water to remove dust and debris.
- Clean the sensor and pilot with a wire brush and an emery cloth.
- Check the “high limit” on the unit to prevent overheating.
- Check the gas meter for the rate of fuel usage.
- Keep the area around the unit clean and unobstructed.
How To Make Your Furnace More Energy-Efficient
Keeping your furnace at an ideal temperature in the winter can cause your utility bills to increase. To lower these costs, follow these tips to make your unit more energy-efficient:
- Install a programmable thermostat.
- Ensure your air ducts are in good condition.
- Make sure that your property is well insulated.
- Schedule regular maintenance visits with a professional.
- Change the filter regularly, at least every three months.
- Leave the drapes open to let sunlight in to add more heat to your home.
Are you looking for an energy-efficient heating solution? Ask us about our heat pump services.
Signs Your Furnace Needs Repairs
Before you’re left in a chilly house due to a malfunctioning furnace, watch for signs that indicate your unit needs repairs. Some symptoms to watch for can include:
- Short cycling: If the unit runs for less than three minutes before shutting off, it can indicate a malfunctioning heat exchanger or an issue with the thermostat.
- Irregular flames: If there are uneven flames - or flames that lean toward the back of the system - it can signal your burners need to be cleaned, or a serious issue like a cracked heat exchanger.
- Unusual sounds: Rumbling, popping, or whistling sounds coming from the unit can indicate several issues that need to be repaired.
- Cracked heat exchanger: A cracked heat exchanger can lead to a dangerous carbon monoxide leak. This can put your family’s health at risk and requires immediate attention to keep your household safe.